Halloweens with my littles focuses on traditions and I was beyond excited to discover “October Magic and the Punkin Pixie” to add as a new tradition this year.
It’s very unlikely that you’re completely unaware of the Elf on the Shelf sensation. However, if you are in the dark, Elf on the Shelf is a Christmas tradition. Elves are hidden throughout the house leading up to Christmas and “report” to Santa every night about the children. In this vein, it is exciting to see many creatives applying this concept to Halloween. It is almost like a variation of believing in the Great Pumpkin!
I came across The Punkin Shop booth during Midsummer Scream. Lauren called out to me while the charming smiles of her punkin pixies caught my eye. Naturally, I had to snag a pair of them and a copy of the book for my littles.
The story is simple and adorable, providing just enough information for you to embrace this tradition however you see fit. Basically, you just need to bring the pixie to life for leaving tricks and treats. Simply recite the spell found at the back of the book. Once that is done, you can put your punkin pixie up to any kind of mischief.
I recommend reading the story of the Punkin Pixie THEN start placing it around the house. Since you have to activate its magic with the “spell”, that makes the most sense to me.
Is this October Magic only for Kids?
Although the story is definitely more geared for children at heart, I believe the punkin could be for anyone! One idea for this pixie is to use it as a fun party game for adults. Just put together two buckets; one labeled “tricks” and the other “treats”. Fill them up with things like candy or spider rings to go into each respective bucket. Start off the evening with the pixie already placed amongst your decor. Explain to guests that whomever finds the pixie next must decide if it will be playing a trick or leaving a treat. It could be a great ongoing background game to entertain guests who want to get up to a little mischeif.
With that being said, this book was a smidge advanced for my three-year-old. He showed interest at first, but his focus shifted from listening to the story to playing with his punkin. On the other hand, my five-year-old ate it up. She loved giving her punkin pixie a name and then reciting the “spell”. She picked out a special place to put her punkin each night that will allow it to go on its trick or treating spree.
Win a Copy of “October Magic and the Punkin Pixie”
In love with the idea of owning a punkin of your own? As it so happens, I have a set of both the book AND a pixie to give away!
The rules are simple:
- Participants must reside within the United States.
- You must leave a comment on this post to enter. Tell me what mischief your pixie would get up to in your home! Be sure to use an email you check frequently when leaving your comment.
- You may leave separate comments for multiple entries. However, I am looking for creative and original treats and tricks. Repeat comments will not count towards multiple entries.
- You must leave a comment by 11:59pm Pacific Time on Sunday, October 8th enter into the giveaway. Comments entered after this time will not qualify.
- I will select one comment at random during my Instagram Live on October 11th. Commenters do NOT need to join the live to claim their prize.
- The winning commenter will be contacted through the provided email upon conclusion of my Instagram Live.
I wish everyone luck and look forward to reading all the clever ways people would pose their punkin pixie for others to discover!
Follow Along on the Countdown!
Check out all the awesome crypt keepers helping you count down to Halloween this year!